Re: [squid-users] Number of Spindles

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 18:38:08 +0100

On 04.12.08 04:39, Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> Why aren't there any (or marginal / insignificant) improvements over 3
> spindles? Is it because squid is a single threaded application?

I would neither thinkg about the first one.
Maybe there's some CPU limit in testers' system.

> On this note, what impact does the L1 and L2 directories have on AUFS
> performance? I understand that these are there to control the number of
> objects in each folder. But, what would be a good number of files to keep
> in a directory, performance wise?

many filesystems work bad when there's too much of directory entries.
smaller values should help. the number_of_files/(l1*l2) should not be bigger
than any of l1 and l2. With default values (16 256) you should not have
more than 1 million (~ 16*256*256) of entries. For more, increase L1...

REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.