Re: [squid-users] Squid Fails on Reconfigure

From: ian j hart <ianjhart_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:40:43 +0000

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 14:40:19 Rick Chisholm wrote:
> I'm having a recurring issue with squid 2.7STABLE5 on FreeBSD 6.3 - part
> of the problem is that I cannot pinpoint the cause. Often (though not
> always) when squid -k reconfigure is run squid goes a bit haywire and
> maxes out one core and becomes unresponsive to connections.
>
> SquidGuard log is clean
> cache.log last entry is helperOpenServers: Starting 5 'ncsa_auth' processes
>
> it hangs there until a kill command is executed - does not respond to
> squid -k shutdown at this point.
>
> Rick

Sorry I can't offer a solution but I can confirm this as an issue.

I used to get this on our old work hardware;
CPU AMD athlon 2100+ (single core at 1733Mhz IIRC) PC3200 DDR.

Since upgrading (Q6600 quad core at 2.4Ghz, DDR2 667Mhz?) I'm not getting this
any more. [Rubs lucky rubber chicken to avoid the kiss of death].

This suggests it may be a subtle timing issue which will be tricky to find.

I got into the habit of running top after the reconfig. If one of the squid
owned processes hits 100% CPU, kill with extreme prejudice. Actually I still
do this.

IIRC it was the old squid process which did this, but I could easily be wrong.
If you can confirm that it may help one of the developers to find the
problem.

HTH

--
ian j hart