Re: [squid-users] performance datas for Squid

From: john Moylan <john_at_nuatech.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:02:12 +0000

I have a number of squid boxes behind LVS acting as reverse proxies.

They are all HP DL380/385's G4 Machines (about 3 years old) with 7GB
to 12 GB per machine, 4 unraided 15K SCSI HDD for caches on each
machine.

Mem Caches are 30% of the available ram on each box and each disk has
a 10GB cache.
I only cache small objects (96K max). GDSF on disk, LRU on Memory.

My normal traffic if 200-400 http requests per second per box (I don't
use ICP), with 5-20% CPU utilization - that's serving between
15-25Mb/s of outbound traffic.

I have peaked at 800 req/s with 40% CPU (the current origin servers
may be a bottleneck though.)

I intend to test new machines soon using large RAM 64GB cache and
small disk cache 500MB.