Re: [squid-users] Number of Spindles

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 12:34:22 +0100

mån 2008-12-01 klockan 11:33 +1300 skrev Amos Jeffries:
> > sön 2008-11-30 klockan 09:56 +0600 skrev Nyamul Hassan:
> >
> >> "The primary purpose of these tests is to show that Squid's performance
> >> doesn't increase in proportion to the number of disk drives. Excluding
> >> other
> >> factors, you may be able to get better performance from three systems
> >> with
> >> one disk drive each, rather than a single system with three drives."
> >
> > There is a significant difference up to 3 drives in my tests.
> >

> Um, can you clarify please? Do you mean difference in experience than
> described, or separate systems are faster up to 3 drives?

3 separate systems each with one drive each is faster than one system
with 3 drives. No arguing about that. But also considerably more costly.

What I am saying that for tuning one system there is noticeable
performance gains from adding at least up to 3 spindles for the cache
content. Actually you want 4 spindles for such setup, 3 for cache and 1
for OS + logs (including swap.state). After that there is not much to
gain from adding additional spindles.

This is using plain drives without RAID. If you RAID the drives then
other limits apply, and varies greatly with the RAID controller, type of
OS, tuning, amount of RAM etc..