Re: [squid-users] please help

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:31:14 -0900

Matheus wrote:
> Hello squid gurus,
> i need help here please. is there anyone i can get help from around.
> I need help with squid configuration. am green with this stuff but am
> glad it exists and i truly want to be a part of it. I happen to be a
> fast learner. my problem is that my squid is not fully configured. its
> basic and i use it because it seems to be the one thing that can help
> me with my very very slow internet. i wanted to build my own cache and
> have squid more intelligent. reason is that i live in Uganda and
> internet is 200 years behind developed countries, its very expensive
> and again very slow, just to give you the picture, what we call
> broadband is a link that has about 16/16 up and down. that crawls like
> no man. i happen to run an internet cafe that supports my small
> family, i need to maximise the slow internet efficinetly to aoid
> situations like slow speed and one person on the LAN chewing up all
> the available bandwidth at the exzpense of others.

Sounds like you might want to look into delay pools. Setting up a class
1 delay pool with a decent bucket size, but a fairly slow fill rate
would allow someone to "load a page, read it, load another page, read
it", but would hinder someone else who was trying to stream music (or
movies).

> please help

Use "squid -v" to make sure you have delay pool support compiled in.
Then something like...

delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 2
delay_access 1 allow all
delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 600/2000

...would give all available bandwidth to squid, give each computer a
staring pool of 16kb and a bucket refill rate of 4.8kb/s. See
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/DelayPools for more information.

Chris