[squid-users] Re: cached MS updates !

From: Richard Neville <planetxdvd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 06:47:26 +0000 (UTC)

Henrik Nordstrom <henrik <at> henriknordstrom.net> writes:

> On mån, 2008-06-16 at 08:16 -0700, pokeman wrote:
> > thanks henrik for you reply
> > any other way to save bandwidth windows updates almost use 30% of my entire
> > bandwidth
>
> Microsoft has a update server you can run locally. But you need to have
> some control over the clients to make them use this instead of windows
> update...
>
> Or you could look into sponsoring some Squid developer to add caching of
> partial objects with the goal of allowing http access to windows update
> to be cached. (the versions using https can not be done much about...)
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Hi, Just thought id let you know, I currently am using an IPCop Firewall,
and one of the plugins (the reason i went with IPCOP) is an
update accelerator plugin, that stores Windows, Apple, Symmantec, Avast and
linux updates on the
firewalls drive..

I actually found this site because i was trying to get help, and the developer
of the plugin seems cranky at the best of times.

Basically the system works, updates that a PC doesnt have gets loaded from the
firewall rather then the internet, but the updates themselves, it seems that MS
use multiple servers to store each update, now when I update a SP2 XP pro
system, it sees SP3, it downloaded a 850meg file, thats fine, it must be
multilanguage versions that its downloading..

the problem is that i update another SP2 system and it starts downloading the

850 megs again as its got the same file name, but comming from a different
 server.

would anyone here know how to rectify this?

im a 100% noob at linux but i have managed to get it up and running without too
much issue.

here's the plugin website for those interested.

http://update-accelerator.advproxy.net/

any help would be appreciated :)
planetxdvd_at_gmail.com