Re: [squid-users] Question about reverse proxy and Apache Expires headers

From: Tom Williams <tomdkat_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 00:47:55 -0800

Tom Williams wrote:
> So, my Squid-3.0STABLE10 reverse proxy seems to be working just fine
> with one exception: some cached content isn't being properly refreshed
> in the Squid cache.
> Here is the Directory directive where I specify the Expires header
> info in my Apache virtual host config file:
>
> <Directory "/website/tomtest//globaldata">
> ExpiresActive On
> ExpiresByType image/gif M2592000
> ExpiresByType text/css M604800
> ExpiresByType text/javascript M604800
> ExpiresByType application/x-javascript M604800
> ExpiresByType image/jpeg M2592000
> Header append Cache-Control public
> </Directory>
>
> So, for the type image/jpeg, the file is set to expire one month after
> that last time it was modified. Cool. The problem is, when I update
> an image before the month expire time has elapsed, the OLD image in
> the Squid cache is returned instead of the updated image that is
> stored in the directory. I'm sure this is related to a configuration
> issue in my Squid installation but I'm not sure where to start
> researching it.
>
> I saw the refresh_pattern directive in my Squid.conf file and I
> haven't changed that. Is this where I start?
>
> The reason I set a one month expiration time on jpeg images in that
> directory is I don't expect the jpegs in that directory to change very
> frequently but when they DO change, I need Squid to refresh its cache
> as soon as that image is changed (or shortly after).
>
> What should I do to address this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peace...
>
> Tom

Ok, I think the problem I described above is still an issue. Here is
the directory directive:

<Directory "/website/tomtest//images">
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpeg M2592000
Header append Cache-Control public
</Directory>

So, with the above expires header configuration, when I change an image
that's been cached by Squid the cached image is returned and not the
updated image.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Peace...