[squid-users] Squid, firewall in Suse 9.1

From: Philipp Rusch - New Vision IT <philipp.rusch_at_newvision-it.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:26:51 +0100

vaisakh schrieb:
> Hi all,
> Im working as a system/network admin. We are using suse9.1 for fetchmail.
> its working fine. now thw management wants to make the linux box as our
> firewall and proxy. i am not aware about Linux. basically im an MCSE...is
> any body pls help me to do this.....now the ADSl is connected directly to
> the switch and linux box on the same switch....how to change the setup...pls
> help me...its urgent...how to configure this....pls give me in details
>
> thanks and regards
> Vaisakh
> vaisakhmohs_at_yahoo.com

Hi Vaisakh,
I will try to help you, I assume your "ADSL"-whatever thingy has an
ethernet-interface.
We need to know your IP-configuration, if you like, you can give details
with private mail.
First thing you need is a second ethernet interface for your linux-box,
otherwise it would
be senseless to setup a firewall on the box, since the "ADSL" would stay
connected
with all the rest of your LAN.
Second, you will have to assign another IP-network to that second
ethernet interface,
let'say this is your external connection from now on. SuSE-Linux assigns
names like
"eth0" ,"eth1" and so on for its physical ethernet interfaces.
So from now on you have a two interface firewall box with "eth0" as your
internal and
"eth1" as your external interface.
The external zone which comprises your "ADSL"-device and the "eth1"
interface can
be connected by a ethernet crossover cable. If you don't have one, try
an ordinary LAN-
patchcable, sometimes the "ADSL" boxes are smart enough to recognize the
correct
pinout for themselves.
The internal "eth0" interface is now the only connection to and from the
outside of the
LAN, this cable goes to your switch. The ADSL has no longer any
connection to the
switch.

So, enough for this first things to do, it's up to you now.

BTW, where are you from ?

Regards from Germany
- Philipp