Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy URL rewriter/hostname scrubber

From: Bastian Blank <bastian+squid-users=squid-cache.org_at_waldi.eu.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:23:53 +0100

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 04:46:18PM -0600, Seann Clark wrote:
> I am looking for a squid based solution for a problem I have.

Why? Why don't you fix the backend servers to reply with the correct
value?

> The idea with the proxy is to go internet --> squid --> http farm and
> the problem that comes about is that occasionally the servers will
> response with hostname.tld instead of www.tld like they are supposed to.

No, this is not occasionally. I use apache in such a setup and force
them to obtain the real identity.

| <VirtualHost *:2210>
| ServerName http://www.example.com
| UseCanonicalName on
| </VirtualHost>

> This is especially troublesome
> for embedded generated code (JavaScript links, and silly stuff like
> that). I have basic idea's on how to do this, but I haven't found either
> a good step by step telling how to do this, or a good redirect client
> that can handle something like this.

The backend server _must_ know its real identity.

Bastian

--
A woman should have compassion.
		-- Kirk, "Catspaw", stardate 3018.2