Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy URL rewriter/hostname scrubber

From: Seann Clark <nombrandue_at_tsukinokage.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:08:01 -0600

Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 04:46:18PM -0600, Seann Clark wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a squid based solution for a problem I have.
>>

> Why? Why don't you fix the backend servers to reply with the correct
> value?
>

>> The idea with the proxy is to go internet --> squid --> http farm and
>> the problem that comes about is that occasionally the servers will
>> response with hostname.tld instead of www.tld like they are supposed to.
>>

> No, this is not occasionally. I use apache in such a setup and force
> them to obtain the real identity.
>
> | <VirtualHost *:2210>
> | ServerName http://www.example.com
> | UseCanonicalName on
> | </VirtualHost>

I have three virtual servers on the back end systems, one dot com, one
dot org, and one dot net. for the bulk of things, it response correctly.
I come across issues with stuff dealing with pre-packaged items and
tomcat being the other culprits that decides that it should be
localhost, not www.tld.net or the like. I have set tomcat up to force it
otherwise and some of the war files still decide it should be local host
without anything I can do for it. I guess I am thinking of being able to
do a virtual server using squid which doesn't seem to be possible at
all, and I will have to look into a different solution to be able to set
up a full reverse proxy for these sites.

The main thing I was looking for is if there could be a way I could
extend squid in the manner similar to what can be done on a bigip ltm
using Irules, or simple profiles to help fix some small oddities and be
able to do a decently quick inspection to make sure that the oddities
that creep out in any web application are kept in check and just not
served if they are too crazy.
>> This is especially troublesome
>> for embedded generated code (JavaScript links, and silly stuff like
>> that). I have basic idea's on how to do this, but I haven't found either
>> a good step by step telling how to do this, or a good redirect client
>> that can handle something like this.
>>

> The backend server _must_ know its real identity.

The backend servers do know their real identities, allowing for the fact
that the .net virtual I have set up is the default, everything else is
setup to respond to the www.x.x set up, with hostname directs getting
forced by design to the dot net setup.