Re: [squid-users] Why so many 304 resposne for MSIE ?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:24:27 +0100

On 20.01.09 23:55, howard chen wrote:
> My understanding...
>
> 304 is used if a user conditioinally request for an object, e.g. by
> pressing F5.

user can't conditionally request an object. It's the client (browser, proxy)
that should do that if it has non-expired version. Unless is is set up to
always fetch the conent.

refresh afaik means request to unconditional reloading of an object.

> If expire is set and still fresh, client NO need to contact my server,
> so my log cannot see 304 at all...

Ahm, true. But after object is expired, the browser/cache still may have it
in the cache and try to revalidate it...

> so seeing too many 304 is abnormal...and you see my example above is
> serious in IE only.

the ie_refresh setting mentioned by Amos probably

WinError #98652: Operation completed successfully.