Re: [squid-users] Frequent cache rebuilding

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:53:43 +0100

On 21.01.09 10:05, Andreev Nikita wrote:
> Squid cache resides on NFS partition on storage system. It is 1Gb link
> and both sides are connected to the same switch. Squid has dual core
> Xeon processor and 4GB of RAM.
>
> The main concern here is that squid always eats 100% of 1 core. And
> our clients can't reach full channel throughput (4Gbs). As I can see
> outside link is half full. Secondly it looks like FS performance is
> very poor. I tried to clear cache by setting
> cache_swap_low 0
> cache_swap_high 0
> and it took about 15 hours for squid to actually clear the cache!
>
> Why does squid eat 100% of processor if the problem is in FS? Maybe
> it's not an FS problem at all? What can I do to find the performance
> bottleneck?

NFS is the bottleneck. Can you connect the disk on storage system directly?

btw, which link is 1 gbit and which is 4 gbit? NFS is connected with 1gbit
and you want squid to be able to saturate 4gbit connection?

Your mouse has moved. Windows NT will now restart for changes to take
to take effect. [OK]