Re: [squid-users] Help needed with Squid 3.0-STABLE12 reverse proxy messages in cache.log

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 01:56:16 +1300

Tom Williams wrote:
> I've got Squid 3.0-STABLE12 configured as a reverse proxy on RedHat
> Enterprise Linux 5.
>
> We have pages for logged-in users we DO NOT want cached and pages for
> anonymous users (not logged into the site) that we do want cached.
>
> We found this article which describes how to this:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-a-caching-reverse-proxy-with-squid-2.6-on-debian-etch-p2
>

> Section 5 entitled "Different Content For Different Users" describes
> what we want to do.
>
> Per that article, I've added these lines to my squid config file:
>
> acl set_logged_in_user_cookie rep_header Set-Cookie LOGGED_IN=Y
> cache deny set_logged_in_user_cookie
> acl clear_logged_in_user_cookie rep_header Cookie LOGGED_IN=Y
> cache deny clear_logged_in_user_cookie
> acl logged_in_user_cookie req_header Cookie LOGGED_IN=Y
> cache deny logged_in_user_cookie
>
> During testing, I see a bunch of messages like this in my cache.log file:
>
> 2009/01/22 23:52:35| ACL::checklistMatches WARNING:
> 'set_logged_in_user_cookie' ACL is used but there is no HTTP reply --
> not matching.
> 2009/01/22 23:52:35| ACL::checklistMatches WARNING:
> 'clear_logged_in_user_cookie' ACL is used but there is no HTTP reply --
> not matching.
>
> What do these warning messages mean? Does this mean Squid didn't see a
> HTTP header with "Set-Cookie LOGGED_IN=Y"?
>
> Peace...
>
> Tom

Squid checks to see whether something is allowed to be cached at the
time it is requested. Not when the reply is already coming back.
Seems daft yes, but thats the way its currently done.

Which means until someone gets time or money to clean that up, you can
only use request or connection information in the cache ACLs.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.3