[squid-users] which stable version should one use

From: sameer shinde <s9sameer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:35:33 +0530

Hi All,

Whenever I visit squid-cache.org site. I always have a doubt is,
why there are multiple stable version available for production release?
What i mean is, when there is 3.0 stable release is available for production,
then still why 2.7 is available. I can understand that, older versions should
be available to the users, but then it may come under older version head not
in the current versions list.

Other thing is, when there is a latest version available, what is the need of
develpment in the older version. i.e when we've ver3.0 then why 2.8.
All the patches, bug fixes, new additions can be done in the newer release
then why ver2.8?

Is there any specific reason for that? If yes, then which version one should
use? Because all the versions give you production release.

I also have observed that, even after publishing the stable version on site,
they withdraw the older stable version, do something & again put back.
My question is, if you withdraw any software version for any reason, it does
not become a stable version. If anyone is doing some bug fixing into it or even
a minor change of code, it should appear in the latest stable release.
This gives you a track of bugs & bugfixes. But if you takeback any
stable release
and put it again after some time. What does it mean? If it was stable why it was
taken back? If not does it really justify the stability?

For e.g. At this moment , the squid3.0 stable 10, stable3, stable 2
are withdrawn.

Some peoples find my questions silly, but I've a doubt and its always better ask
instead of knowing nothing. And I'm also sure, many of ours must have
asked this
question to themself, but never been answered.

Sameer Shinde.
M:- +91 98204 61580
Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why.