Re: [squid-users] which stable version should one use

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:55:40 -0900

sameer shinde wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Whenever I visit squid-cache.org site. I always have a doubt is,
> why there are multiple stable version available for production release?
> What i mean is, when there is 3.0 stable release is available for production,
> then still why 2.7 is available. I can understand that, older versions should
> be available to the users, but then it may come under older version head not
> in the current versions list.
>
> Other thing is, when there is a latest version available, what is the need of
> develpment in the older version. i.e when we've ver3.0 then why 2.8.
> All the patches, bug fixes, new additions can be done in the newer release
> then why ver2.8?

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200805/0448.html

Squid 3 was branched from the Squid 2.5 code and re-written in c++.
Progress on the 3 branch stalled for around three years, and development
continued on Squid 2.5. Features were added to the 2.5 branch and it
was eventually released as 2.6. 2.6Pre1 and 3.0Pre4 were actually
released on the same day. 2.7 adds more features and is based on the
2.6 branch. 3.0 (and the 3.1 release candidate/beta) have features not
found in 2.7 and 2.7 has some features not found in the 3 series.

> Is there any specific reason for that? If yes, then which version one should
> use? Because all the versions give you production release.

Use what works for you. If you don't see anything that you NEED in 2.7,
I'd suggest going with 3.0, as it has the greater number of developers.

> I also have observed that, even after publishing the stable version on site,
> they withdraw the older stable version, do something & again put back.
> My question is, if you withdraw any software version for any reason, it does
> not become a stable version. If anyone is doing some bug fixing into it or even
> a minor change of code, it should appear in the latest stable release.
> This gives you a track of bugs & bugfixes. But if you takeback any
> stable release
> and put it again after some time. What does it mean? If it was stable why it was
> taken back? If not does it really justify the stability?

A STABLE release is one that seems to run fine with no outstanding
bugs. Once it is released it is put under a much wider range of
conditions than is possible for a small group of volunteers to test and
existing bugs can be exposed. If any of those issues are severe enough,
withdrawal of the release might be justified.

> For e.g. At this moment , the squid3.0 stable 10, stable3, stable 2
> are withdrawn.
>
> Some peoples find my questions silly, but I've a doubt and its always better ask
> instead of knowing nothing. And I'm also sure, many of ours must have
> asked this
> question to themself, but never been answered.

> Sameer Shinde.
> M:- +91 98204 61580
> Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why.

Chris