[squid-users] check squid alive via remote http request

From: Evgeniy Zaitsev <eightn_at_ixbt.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:24:11 +0300

Hello.

We are using large squid cluster (~30 dedicated machines with squid) to
proxy-caching static content.

All separate squid's configured as sibling (each other, i.e. one level
hierarchy).

All requests to squid-machines go through one balancer. Balancer check
each squid (alive/not alive) via tcp-check (if port 3128/tcp accept
connections, then squid is alive).

But we want to use http checks for squid alive checking. Is it possible?

A am search in this mailing list, but didn't found any way to do like this:
1. balancer create http request to squid (only _to squid_, not proxy
request to other http resource via squid) like "GET /ping" (or any other
HTTP GET)
2. squid anwer with currect http anwer code 200.

I found only one way to http check "squid alive" - balancer create http
request to another http server via squid, but this way is wrong for us.
If this external http server (for balancer check via squid) was died,
balancer reject all squids from cluster :(

--
Cheers,
Evgeniy Zaitsev,