Re: [squid-users] check squid alive via remote http request

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 02:03:51 +1300

Evgeniy Zaitsev wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We are using large squid cluster (~30 dedicated machines with squid) to
> proxy-caching static content.
>
> All separate squid's configured as sibling (each other, i.e. one level
> hierarchy).
>
> All requests to squid-machines go through one balancer. Balancer check
> each squid (alive/not alive) via tcp-check (if port 3128/tcp accept
> connections, then squid is alive).
>
> But we want to use http checks for squid alive checking. Is it possible?

Depends on your balancer.

Squid does it automatically when "no-query" options is missing from
cache_peer lines.

> A am search in this mailing list, but didn't found any way to do like this:
> 1. balancer create http request to squid (only _to squid_, not proxy
> request to other http resource via squid) like "GET /ping" (or any other
> HTTP GET)
> 2. squid anwer with currect http anwer code 200.
>

> I found only one way to http check "squid alive" - balancer create http
> request to another http server via squid, but this way is wrong for us.
> If this external http server (for balancer check via squid) was died,
> balancer reject all squids from cluster :(

Querying the cache manager interface should work.
  cache_object://$SQUIDHOST/menu

should give you a 200 with the cachemgr menu options as data.
Any of the others should work as well, thats just the one with least
calculations done.

Amos

--
Please be using