Re: [squid-users] Multi-process or Single Thread?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:40:59 +1300 (NZDT)

> Hello,
>
> I have a SMP quad core server (effective core = 8).
>
> Currently my squid is just serving 7 sites using single squid process
> (behind a load balancer, as a reverse proxy).
>
> The disk is a RAID 5 system.
>
> So it is recommended to just use a single thread like current setup,
> or to fork squid process listening on different port(e.g. one port for
> one web sites, so end up I might have 7 squid processing running on
> the same server, bind to the load banlancer)
>
> Any comments?

A single squid process works most effectively in one dedicated thread.
Using a separate one for helpers and OS etc.

With the other cores you can do what you like, including setting up
additional Squid as load failovers. Squid does not really matter the
number of websites its processing simultaneously.

Whatever you setup, I would really recommend not sharing a single disk
between multiple Squid, even on a fast machine. The one-cache_dir-per-disk
rule of thumb still applies.

RAID-5 may be an issue, or it may not. Be aware of this:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/RAID

Amos