[squid-users] 2.7STABLE6 weight has no effect - weight not working

From: Jon DeLee <jondelee_at_ltcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:27:28 -0800

*This message was scanned for all current viruses and is certified clean*

I upgraded 2 days ago from 2.7.STABLE5 to 2.7.STABLE6 due to complaints
about hotmail hanging. I have 3 squid servers, and I updated all 3 at
the same time. I use one as the primary in a transparent mode, and it
is forced to make requests from the other two parents, which are on
different connections to the internet. This gives me a way to load
balance between two connections.

Anyway, the weighting was working great until I upgraded. After I
noticed the problem, I made sure that I was seeing ICP packets coming
from the primary to both parents, and they were, and ICP packets are
coming back from the parents. The primary would always use the closest
parent, no matter the weight setting. I went back to 2.7.STABLE5 on the
primary and the problem disappeared.

I found a reference to bug 2241, which seems to address this issue, but
the patch for neighbors.c appears to patch a different version than the
2.7.STABLE6 source that I built from. It does appear that 2241 has been
incorporated into Squid 3.

Is Squid 3 mature enough to simply migrate to with my setup? Or should
I continue to try to patch 2.7S6? If so, how can I patch from a
different source version?

Thanks in advance,

Jon