[squid-users] newbie question

From: poncenby <smythe_at_poncenby.plus.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:29:55 +0000

Hi list,

I am experimenting with Squid 3.1 on a 2.6.31 debian host, primarily
with the aim of using squid forward all http to the orginating
server, so I have included the following in squid.conf:

acl HTTP proto HTTP
always_direct allow HTTP

However I am experiencing behaviour from squid that I'd be grateful for
someone to explain.

On a client machine I change the browser's proxy settings and all http
is forwarded fine.

I then clear the proxy setting and make a static entry in /etc/hosts on
the client machine for a website. Upon visiting this website i get an
error saying:

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: /

     Invalid URL

Looking at the packet captures from both scenarios the difference is
obvious, when the squid proxy is specified in the proxy settings all URL
  s in HTTP GETs are absolutes (i.e. www.intel.com/index.htm), whereas
when the DNS has changed the URL is relative (i.e. simply / for the root).

So my question is, can squid be configured to forward traffic in the
scenario of changing the DNS?

Many thanks