Re: [squid-users] newbie question

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:06:40 +0100

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM, poncenby <smythe_at_poncenby.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
[...]
> On a client machine I change the browser's proxy settings and all http
> is forwarded fine.
>
> I then clear the proxy setting and make a static entry in /etc/hosts on
> the client machine for a website. Upon visiting this website i get an error
> saying:
>
> The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: /
>
> Invalid URL

[...]

> So my question is, can squid be configured to forward traffic in the
> scenario of changing the DNS?

What you are doing on the client is for all practical purposes the
same as setting up a reverse-proxy.
If that is what you really want to do, then you need to configure
squid appropriately.
You can check http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy out to
get a first idea of what you need.

--