Re: [squid-users] POP3 and SMTP

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:45:04 -0900

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I know this is no way related to squid, but while googling I found
> that lots of squid users are finding solution for this (me also).
>
> I have setup a squid 3.0 STABLE7 over fedora 9 with NCSA
> authentication. Which is working perfectly (thanks to Squid)
>
> But new few of my internal users want to configure pop3 and smtp to
> access mails from mail server which is situated outside network. As
> this Linux server (F9 with squid) is working as gateway (with NICs),
> how can we route the pop3 traffic (I know, as I said is not related to
> squid BUT WOULD BE USEFUL TO LOTS OF SQUID USERS, atleast who are
> newbie in Linux).
>
> Can any expert pen down few steps here to create a logical hole in
> firewall, an easy setup to allow such traffic.

The problem with penning a few steps is the steps required depend
entirely on the steps already taken. How you set your gateway up is
likely different from the way I would do it. Your best bet is to
understand what the instructions you followed actually did. Then you
can use that knowledge to make changes.

Otherwise, search for a Linux Users Group in your area, where you have a
good chance of finding a live person to help you out.

> regards
>
> Arun

Chris