[squid-users] Fail-Over Site Hosting

From: Philip de Souza <pdesouza_at_itstrategists.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:02:05 -0800

Hello,

Can Squid-Cache be used in a Windows 2003 / IIS 6, web-hosting environment
to provide a temporary means by which the actual web server itself can be
brought down for maintenance, so that the site appears to remain live to any
clients wishing to access it?

We have two hosted machines with our web host provider, but were not able to
configure Network Load Balancing due to SSL cert.’s being needed on some of
the sites the second server is now hosting (thereby negating our ability to
use the 2 NICs on each machine we are limited to).

The site we have running on the first server is a vital one, but the machine
needs maintenance and so we’re searching for a solution that could work for
a period of 30-60 minutes, no more. Can Squid accommodate this, even for a
MS platform such as ours?

Been searching all the documentation I could find and could not find the
answer I need on this… many thanks in advance!

~Philip