Re: [squid-users] Fail-Over Site Hosting

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:25:14 +1300

Philip de Souza wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can Squid-Cache be used in a Windows 2003 / IIS 6, web-hosting environment
> to provide a temporary means by which the actual web server itself can be
> brought down for maintenance, so that the site appears to remain live to any
> clients wishing to access it?

Possibly.

> We have two hosted machines with our web host provider, but were not able to
> configure Network Load Balancing due to SSL cert.’s being needed on some of
> the sites the second server is now hosting (thereby negating our ability to
> use the 2 NICs on each machine we are limited to).

Huh? SSL certs should not be needed for port 80 access...

> The site we have running on the first server is a vital one, but the machine
> needs maintenance and so we’re searching for a solution that could work for
> a period of 30-60 minutes, no more. Can Squid accommodate this, even for a
> MS platform such as ours?
>
> Been searching all the documentation I could find and could not find the
> answer I need on this… many thanks in advance!
>

> ~Philip

Um, is this a once-off. Or a long term backup mechanism?

Static content, or dynamic content that can be cached for the 30-60
minutes without causing trouble is easy. Any purely dynamic content
that cannot be cached at all may have trouble.

To do this with Squid you would need version 2.7, with a cache large
enough to hold most of the site and at minimum all of the in-use pages
and files. Set squid up as a web accelerator for the machine thats going
down. Then shift DNS over to it as primary server.
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples

Once that is done the real prep can be started to enable caching of the
site during the down time. Set up stale-if-error on all objects from the
hosted sites so they can be served out of the cache even if too old
during the downtime.

Then use a spider (wget etc) to pull the important website(s) into
Squid's cache fully just before bringing the web server down.

With all clients going through Squid for some period leading up to the
outage, there should be no major disruption.

Problems you may face are:
  - not able to cache the whole website (triage the pages to those
needed most)
  - dynamic pages not being changeable during the outage.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5