Re: [squid-users] proxy working but not the cache + curl getting 400 error

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:04:00 +1300

Hortitude Eyeball wrote:
> I am trying to setup Squid to be a simple proxy-cache.
> I am seeing two strange behaviors.
> I have 3 machines. I am using one as my web browser, one as my
> proxy-cache and the third as my web server.
> When I configure my web browser (Firefox) to connect through my
> proxy-cache to my web server I see content as expected, however it
> does not seem to be cached. The web page I am using is at the bottom
> of this post. When I view the web page I keep seeing the time change,
> so I know that it is not being cached.

NP: pressing the refresh button n a web browser sends a special header
to refresh the page, at minimum forcing squid to check for an updated
version. Your web server as ircache reports sends a new object when
asked about modification. This will result in REFRESH_HIT or MISS.

> Furthermore, when I use curl to through the proxy and look at the
> headers using the -D option I see a 400 error from the proxy server
> and then a 200 from the web server? I also see a message from the
> squid server of "Invalid Request"

 From that description I'd guess you have a domain name which resolves
to your Squid box AND the web server?

400 from squid is probably a forwarding loop?

> [...]
> acl SSL_ports port 563 # snews
> acl SSL_ports port 873 # rsync
> acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
> acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
> acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
> acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
> acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
> acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
> acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
> acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
> acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
> acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
> acl Safe_ports port 631 # cups
> acl Safe_ports port 873 # rsync
> acl Safe_ports port 901 # SWAT
> acl purge method PURGE
> acl CONNECT method CONNECT
> http_access allow manager localhost
> http_access deny manager
> http_access allow purge localhost
> http_access deny purge
> http_access deny !Safe_ports
> http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
> http_access allow localhost
> http_access allow localnet
> http_access deny all
> icp_access allow localnet
> icp_access deny all
> http_port 3128
> hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
> access_log /var/log/squid/access.log squid
> refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
> refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
> refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0
> refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320
> acl apache rep_header Server ^Apache
> broken_vary_encoding allow apache
> extension_methods REPORT MERGE MKACTIVITY CHECKOUT
> hosts_file /etc/hosts
> coredump_dir /var/spool/squid

> Here is the web page I am using
>
> <?php
> // the time we got hit and generated content
> $now = time();
> $generatedAt = gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s T', $now);
>
> // the last modified date (midnight on the same day of generation, as
> // per your business-rule)
> $lastModified = gmdate('D, d M Y 00:00:00 T', $now);
>
> // date of expiry (24 hours after the last modified date, as per your
> // business-rule)
> $expiresAt = gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s T', strtotime($lastModified) + 86400);
>
> // the minimum required http headers to make Squid do what you asked is
> // Last-modified and Cache-control. We need to give Cache-control the
> // expiry time in terms of "age" (in seconds) so we calculate that below.
> // Optionally you could also provide the "Expires: $expiresAt" header to
> // tell the browser/client the same information, just in a different way.
> // This is not required for Squid though.
> $maxAge = strtotime($expiresAt) - strtotime($generatedAt);
> header('Last-modified: ' . $lastModified);
> header('Cache-control: max-age=' . $maxAge);
> header ('Expires: '.$expiresAt);
>
> // The rest is simply informational
> header('Content-type: text/plain');
> echo "The content of this page was last modified at $lastModified\n";
> echo "This page was generated at $generatedAt and will be cached by
> Squid for $maxAge seconds until $expiresAt\n";

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6