[squid-users] Nameservers are operational but Squid cannot resolve

From: RM <bearmeat_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:44:19 -0700

A few days ago, Squid was working perfectly fine. I have neither made
changes to Squid nor any changes to system configuration files. In
fact, I have not even logged into the server since the problems arose.
Today, I am unable to visit websites while surfing through Squid. When
my web browser is configured to use the Squid proxy, I get the
username and password prompt as I should (I use ncsa_auth). However, I
then get the following error which appears to be DNS related:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.google.com/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.google.com
The dnsserver returned:

Refused: The name server refuses to perform the specified operation.
This means that:

 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct.
Your cache administrator is root.

My access.log shows the following entries:

1237099689.372 13 xx.xx.xx.xx TCP_HIT/301 546 GET
http://google.com/ myusername NONE/- text/html
1237099689.515 15 xx.xx.xx.xx TCP_MISS/503 1512 GET
http://www.google.com/ myusername DIRECT/www.google.com text/html

So it appears that the problem is DNS related, however, I am able to
resolve domain names with the same nameservers that Squid is using
when I ping google.com or other domains. I have also tried using other
nameservers which I have verified that work and Squid refused to
resolve domains to IP addresses.

Any help is appreciated!