Re: [squid-users] changing the outgoing Ip address

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 01:20:37 +1300

Mark Fee wrote:
> Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>>
>>> I have set up an alias ip address on our proxy apollo and added what I
>>> believe are the following significant lines to squid.conf
>>>
>>> acl mark_pc src 10.16.52.33
>>> tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.13 mark_pc
>>> tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.237
>>> server_persistent_connections off
>>>

> Thanks for the help Amos.
>

>> 1) check that both IPs 10.16.52.13 and 10.16.52.237 are assigned to an
>> outgoing interface on the Squid box.
>> (done)
>>
>> 2) check that you are using a Squid 2.6 or later.
>
> Ah No - 2.5.STABLE9
>
> I am running debian etch, I had a go at upgrading to 2.6 but hit a few
> issues which I'm not happy about hacking until I have time to make sure
> I have a full backup and time to upgrade properly.
>
> Is 2.6 known to fix tcp_outgoing_address or is it just the bare minimum
> that people are using these days. I work on an if it aint broke don't
> fix it principal, but once I have time I will upgrade to lenny and test.
>

>> 3)
>> tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.13 mark_pc
>> tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.237 !mark_pc
>
> DOH of course use a not!. This solves it, thanks for the help - I always
> hate to ask without wasting at least a day trying to fix, and then helps
> comes along and it's always something simple.
>
> My test # 2 is now returning:-
> >> HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR 10.16.52.33, 10.16.52.13
>
> and I am getting the correct filters for this different IP address.
>
> Now how important is it that I upgrade to 2.6 (or later if I'm going to
> bite the bullet)?

Until you said you had success with the not! I was under the impression
2.5 only round-robin selected the listed IPs. Since you have a working
setup now it's not highly urgent.

If you are really going to make a good try of upgrading I'd suggest
going all the way to one of the current Squid at the point you do so.
As of today its a choice between 2.7 and 3.0 depending on your exact
needs. 3.1 is expected to be stable mid-year sometime.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6