Re: [squid-users] Config suggestion

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:41:59 +0100

On 17.03.09 12:35, Herbert Faleiros wrote:
> 2 Xeon Quad-cores (4 cores per/processor, 8 total), no HT...

Good, you can safely use a few squid processes there,

> > swap is quite useless here I'd say...

> Uptime was 1/2 min. Look at it now:

I meant that configuring swap space on system with that much of ram should
be useless. Of course, some OSes can progressively store data onto swap even
when not needed. But as long as swapping will be needed, the system needs
tuning or more RAM.

> >> I'm not to up on the L1/L2 efficiencies, but "64 256" or higher L1 seems
> >> to be better for larger dir sizes.
>
> OK, I will try...

even 256 256 on 300G disks.

> [cut]
> > Note that for 300GiB HDD you will be using max 250, more probably 200 and
> > some ppl would advise 150GiB of cache. Leave some space for metadata and
> > some for reserve - filesystems may benefit of it.
>
> I always configure (to use) only 80% HDD...

80% of what? announced disk space? of the filesystems' "free" space after
creating? Or that much as will 80% after filling up? (they can and
apparently will differ). The latter, the better imho.

Btw may I know those numbers (just for curiosity).

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".