Re: [squid-users] reverse proxy - accessing services on ports other than 80

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:50:03 +0100

On 17.03.09 23:57, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> If I understand correctly, setting up a reverse proxy requires a DNS
> entry for a webserver pointed at the Squid machine.
>
> This means, packets trying to reach other ports (i.e. 443, 110 etc.) on
> the original webserver will also hit Squid machine.
>
> How do I solve this problem, other than changing DNS entries?

You can redirect port 80 of webserver to the squid which will connect to the
apache on the webserver. But I think changing DNS is better idea. Do you use
one hostname for everything?

> I can technically use pop.example.tld:110 (with a different IP) instead
> of example.tld:110, but I would still like to access :443 port without
> having to add certificates to Squid.
> With one domain it would be easy (just redirect ports), but I would like
> to use reverse Squid proxy for multiple domains.

Or, you can run squid on port 80 connecting to port 81 and port 443 will be
accessed directly by clients.

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]