Re: [squid-users] Issues with tproxy setup

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:29:26 +1200 (NZST)

> I've looked thru the documentation and config examples but can't seem to
> find a complete document that uses the following:
>
> Squid 3.1
> tproxy 4

> iptables 4.0

  ** no such iptables release. 1.4.3 was just officially released today.

> I am trying to accomplish setting up squid with tproxy to maintain the
> tcp session. i.e. Customer accesses the internet and is transparently
> redirected to squid server, but their IP address shows on the internet
> instead of the cache servers IP. I have been able to setup squid to run
> transparent, however an IP lookup at 'whatsmyip.org' shows me the cache
> servers IP address. I have already rebuilt the kernel, and iptables
> with the patches. I tried combining the steps for features/TPROXY,
> FullyTransparentWithTPROXY, TPROXYPatchingCentos, etc to no avail. I
> can see the access log being populated, but only pre-cached info is
> returned. Is there any completed/ fully documented article available
> for us knuckleheads that describes step by step how this may be
> accomplished. Any help would be most appreciated.

Kernel 2.6.28+ is also required.

The wiki page http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Tproxy4 contains a full
step-by step setup for each of the 3 involved softwares.

whatsmyip.org uses tricks and tests not related to the TPROXY spoofing
which is only known to happen at Layer-2/3 towards the client.

You may need tcpdump or similar to catch the raw packets and investigate
their src/dst details to view it.

Amos