Re: [squid-users] Frustrated/Centos 5.2 minimal i386 box giving me such a password problem/WILLING TO PAY FOR HELP

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:19:39 +1300

Eric Valencia wrote:
> Ok, to reexplain, here is what i did.
>
> I got a vps, got a bunch of ips from my host, had them assigned to my
> vps, and I put centos 5.2 minimal i386 on it.
>
> I install squid (squid-3.0.STABLE13).
>
> I set up my squid.conf like this (examples only not actual ips, and
> only essential parts shown/yes, ncsa auth)
>
> acl username1 proxy_auth username1
> acl username2 proxy_auth username2
>
> tcp_outgoing_address 77.242.48.151 username1

send traffic from 77.242.48.151 when username1 making the request.

> tcp_outgoing_address 77.242.48.152 username2

send traffic from 77.242.48.152 when username2 making the request.

Picks first IP assigned on default interface when anyone other than
username1 and username2 are making the request (if allowed).

> http_access allow username1
> http_access allow username2

Assuming thats all...
Implicit deny for anyone not username1 or username2.

> After this I :qw to get out of vi and back to the regular ssh part.
>
> I then htpasswd -c /etc/squid/squid_passwd username1
>
> (-c is to create the password file)
>
> Then I add additional users like this (since there's a bunch, I end up
> at like username81):
> htpasswd /etc/squid/squid_passwd username2
>
> Finally, I restart squid and NORMALLY it works fine. "Works fine"
> means I do this in Firefox:
>
> Tools -> Options
> Then click the Advanced Icon
> Then the “Network” tab, then "Settings..." button
> Then click the “manually configure proxies” radio button, and enter
> the proxy address and port in the HTTP Proxy area., OK, OK,
> then go to www.whatismyip.org, a new window will pop up, enter
> username and password provided, and then see if the proxy is now my
> new IP.
>
> PROBLEM: Normally this works but for some odd reason on my new vps,
> it will only allow the FIRST ip i set up (meaning the one i used the
> command :htpasswd -c /etc/squid/squid_passwd username1") and the rest
> it simply rejects the username/password combo. WHY???

Downright weird, since htpasswd has nothing to do with IP addresses.
Are you sure you added (-b) ALL the username/password combos to the
/etc/squid/squid_passwd file after doing that create (-c) command?

Like this:
  htpasswd -c /etc/squid/squid_passwd username1
  htpasswd -b /etc/squid/squid_passwd username2
  htpasswd -b /etc/squid/squid_passwd username3

If so , also check your auth settings. You may have set a limit on the
number of IPs per user, or users per IP (Squid default is to accept any
amount).

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6