[squid-users] caching googlevideo.com with squid

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:32:08 +0100

Hi,

running squid in transparent mode for our network, we're trying to
maximised our byte cache hit ratio. Isn't everyone ;-)

I've been looking over reports generated by SRG and I guess shouldn't be
surprised to find that youtube/goodlevideo (when you add up the 250
different mirror servers) accounts for around 15% of our bandwidth usage
(c. 28GB per day in c. 300 requests) and has a 0% hit rate. This seems
worthy of some effort.

So, I've been looking at these pages:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent/YouTube
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent/YouTube/Discussion

I gather I'd need to upgrade to squid 2.7 (for storeurl) which I can do.
The remainder looks doable, if a little complex.

Is there a big performance hit involved in spawning the perl script? I
guess those ACLs will get hit relatively rarely so perhaps not?

I guess the perl script needs to be modified every time google/youtube
change subdomain names. Do I presume this doesn't happen too often?

Does anyone else have any experience or advice on this? What sort of hit
rate do you tend to get in practice? There's a lot of video on
goodlevideo, but I guess certain videos tend to become highly popular for a
few days.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Gavin