Re: [squid-users] Large-scale Reverse Proxy for serving images FAST

From: David Tosoff <dtosoff_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:49:31 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Chris & Amos for your comments thus far.

I've finally located a machine I can place this "Memory-only" squid on. I've got a 32GB, AMD 64-bit, blah blah.

Anyway, since I'm a bit of a linux n00b, I was asking the OS question even after having read the wiki and postings about this topic. For me, the OS i use doesn't matter from a comfortability/familiarity standpoint, as it's all fairly new to me anyway. The only requirements are that it's 64-bit and will work with my 32GB of RAM.

I was thinking of using fedora, centOS, or ubuntu 64-bit editions. What do you think will be the easiest OS to compile & run a 64-bit version of Squid on?

That leads me to my next question... How DO I compile or get a binary of 64-bit squid 3.0 stable13? The few source and binaries i've seen don't differentiate between 32 & 64. I've dowmloaded the 3.0 Stable13 tar.gz, but I have no idea how to go about compiling it to run as 64-bit.

Once I know this, I think i'll be all set.

Thanks all!!

David