Re: [squid-users] Squid Scalability

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:39:11 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> For now what we need are the hit/miss ratios and user numbers from Squid
> under peak load, and a few other details to guide comparisons.
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Benchmarks
> details what we are looking for right now and where to locate it.

Here's our current situation:

Version: 2.6.STABLE18 (Ubuntu Hardy Package)
OS: 32-Bit Ubuntu GNU/Linux (Hardy)
CPU: Dual Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3050 @ 2.13GHz
RAM: 8GB
HDD: 2x SATA disks (150GB, 1TB)
Cache: 1x 600GB
Users: ~3000
RPS: 130
Hit Ratio: 35-40%
Byte Hit Ratio: ~13%

Submitted by: Gavin McCullagh, Griffith College Dublin
With this hit ratio and cache size, substantial cpu time is spent in iowait
as the disk is overloaded. Reducing the cache to 450GB relieves this, but
the hit rate drops to more like 10-11%.

I'm going to put a second 1TB disk in to replace the 130GB and have a
second large cache_dir so this should improve.

Gavin