[squid-users] ...Memory-only Squid questions

From: David Tosoff <dtosoff_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:41:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all, haven't heard anything on this and could really use some help. :)

You can disregard the HIT related questions, as once I placed this into a full scale test, it started hitting from memory wonderfully (~40% offload from the origin)

The config works great, to a point. It fills up my memory up, but keeps going way past the "cache_mem" that I set. I've dropped it down to 24GB, but it chews up all the memory on the system (32GB) and then continues into the swap and chews that up too. At that point, squid hangs, crashes then reloads and the cache has to spend another few hours building everything up into memory again. Like I said though, it works great...until the mem is full...

I'm now going to test with a 4GB cache_mem and see what she does.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for the best, most stable way of running a memory-only cache? is 'cache_dir null /tmp' actually what I want to be using here? The SO_FAIL's concern me, but I'm not sure if they should?

Thanks!

David