Re: [squid-users] Initial webpage before surfing on squid

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 12:06:08 -0800

Jorge Bastos wrote:
> Hi there people,
>
> I need to do a special setup, that I need help on it.
> What I need to be done is, when the user open's its browser, on the first
> access, whether it's the homepage, or the user entering an website, I want
> to show them a webpage with info, and below give them an "continue surfing"
> link to leave this intro webpage.

Up to this point, the session helper (which is included with Squid 2.6+)
fits the bill exactly:
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200808/0272.html.

> If the user closes and re-open's the browser, the behavior should be the
> same.

With this additional requirement...

> I saw that this could be done using squid, I just have no clue how to.
> Can you guys give a hand on this?

You might be able to do it with a short idle_timeout on the
session_helper and a session cookie set by the acceptable use policy
(AUP) page. If the idle_timeout is reached and the cookie is tendered
by the browser, the AUP page just 302's the request to the destination.
If the idle_timeout is reached and the cookie is not passed by the
browser, the AUP page is displayed, the session cookie is set and a
continue link is made available.

> Jorge,

Chris