[squid-users] Implications of Disabling via headers

From: Dean Weimer <dweimer_at_orscheln.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:00:02 -0500

        I have a problem with a website that doesn't like going through a parent child proxy setup, if you access the site pointing the client directly at the parent proxy it open just fine. However, when the client accesses the website using the child proxy the page fails to load. I have no control over the website and have sent a request to the support for the site to help resolve the issue. While waiting to hear back from them, I was wondering if possibly disabling the via headers would potential help, but wasn't sure of the consequences that doing so would have.
        The eventual configuration in this scenario is to have 2 parents with a single child, one server can easily handle the number of clients we have, but we want to use the 2 parents to handle load balancing on multiple internet connections. I have already used ACLs to send this website along with others I know have problems with multiple source IPs in a single session, through a single parent so that they only have failover and not load balancing. This has been verified to work on all the other sites that I know clients need that have this problem. I have verified by use of a packet sniffer that this site is correctly trying to go out a single parent proxy server, and I am considering disabling the via header to see if that resolves the issue.
        In addition to any possible problems with disabling the via headers, would it be better to do it on the parent proxies or on the child proxy server, if it doesn't have to be done on both. If it's of any consequence, I do have the forwarded_for directive set to off on the parents and the child proxy server.

Thanks,
     Dean Weimer
     Network Administrator
     Orscheln Management Co