[squid-users] Fw: multiple A records with squid

From: <Martin.Pichlmaier_at_continental-corporation.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:01:45 +0200

Hello all,

some of my users complain that a page (www.bestjobs.ro) with cookies and
some other stuff hangs sometimes,
returns "Connection reset by peer" and so on.
Some problems can be resolved by reloading the page, some can not.
The pages that make problems are not the normal ones but after logging in
and using some of the
"more advanced features" of the web server regarding commenting to some of
the information there.
If the users access the web server without squid -- directly connected to
the internet -- it all works.

It seems to me that the problems have something to do with DNS;
www.bestjobs.ro returns not
one but 5 IPv4 addresses.
With Windows XP and no proxy the browser always uses only one IP;
squid -- I use version 3.0-STABLE 11 on RedHat AS 5 -- uses all 5 IPs in a
round-robin fashion.
The web servers do not serve static but dynamic pages and therefore I
think the requests _should_
always go to the same IP address. But the load balancing probably makes
the problems.

I am fully aware that the problem is not the fault of squid but of the DNS
loadbalancing of the web servers.
Nevertheless I have to provide a solution...

Is there a parameter within squid to change the behaviour of DNS load
balancing when there
is more than one IP in a DNS response?
I do not want to disable load balancing but put a "on hold" parameter so
that squid uses the
same IP maybe a minute and then switches to the next IP and uses that for
the next one minute
and not a different IP for every request.
Even better would be a source address affinity -- for one client all
requests go to IP 1 of the pool,
the next client is routed over squid to IP 2 and so on.

Is there a solution to that?

Best regards,
Martin