Re: [squid-users] Fw: multiple A records with squid

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:04:33 +0200

Hi,

At 09.01 15/04/2009, Martin.Pichlmaier_at_continental-corporation.com wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>some of my users complain that a page (www.bestjobs.ro) with cookies and
>some other stuff hangs sometimes,
>returns "Connection reset by peer" and so on.
>Some problems can be resolved by reloading the page, some can not.
>The pages that make problems are not the normal ones but after logging in
>and using some of the
>"more advanced features" of the web server regarding commenting to some of
>the information there.
>If the users access the web server without squid -- directly connected to
>the internet -- it all works.
>
>It seems to me that the problems have something to do with DNS;
>www.bestjobs.ro returns not
>one but 5 IPv4 addresses.
>With Windows XP and no proxy the browser always uses only one IP;
>squid -- I use version 3.0-STABLE 11 on RedHat AS 5 -- uses all 5 IPs in a
>round-robin fashion.
>The web servers do not serve static but dynamic pages and therefore I
>think the requests _should_
>always go to the same IP address. But the load balancing probably makes
>the problems.
>
>I am fully aware that the problem is not the fault of squid but of the DNS
>loadbalancing of the web servers.
>Nevertheless I have to provide a solution...
>
>Is there a parameter within squid to change the behaviour of DNS load
>balancing when there
>is more than one IP in a DNS response?
>I do not want to disable load balancing but put a "on hold" parameter so
>that squid uses the
>same IP maybe a minute and then switches to the next IP and uses that for
>the next one minute
>and not a different IP for every request.
>Even better would be a source address affinity -- for one client all
>requests go to IP 1 of the pool,
>the next client is routed over squid to IP 2 and so on.
>
>Is there a solution to that?

Sure, try:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/cfgman/balance_on_multiple_ip.html

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/