[squid-users] Squid and Cygwin

From: James Ellis <ellisje22_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:02:38 +0000

I'm a Windows user, a newbie to squid, and a very novice Cygwin user as well.

I've heard that Squid runs on Cygwin so I downloaded and installed Cygwin. One of the Cygwin package options was "Squid" so I downloaded it and I can see there is a file "/usr/sbin/squid.exe" but I don't see any "/usr/local/squid" directory which is where it seems like the majority of the squid configuration goes.

Questions:
1) Does this squid.exe buy me anything or do I still need to download the tar file and go through all the "make" etc to build/compile it?
2) If this is squid.exe file is already the compiled binaries...then where are all the configuration files and how do I start Squid?

Thanks,
Jim