RE: [squid-users] Getting error msgs when trying to start squid

From: <joost.deheer_at_getronics.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:46:30 +0200

> I have made I few changes to squid.conf based on what you
> told me, but proxy still doesn't work.

Define "doesn't work". Clients get an error? Won't start? Something else?

If you get denies, you could try to add a deny_info for every ACL you have, to see which ACL is stopping you:
- create a file ERR_ACL_NAME (replace 'ACL_NAME' with the ACL name you use, e.g. ERR_LOCALNET for the localnet ACL) in the errors directory (you can find the exact path by grepping for error_directory in the default squid config). Give it as only content "The ACL 'ACL_NAME' gave a deny".
- deny_info ERR_ACL_NAME aclname (e.g. deny_info ERR_LOCALNET localnet)
- Start the browser, and see which errorpage you get.

If it doesn't start, the error log is your friend. You could also try to start the proxy with 'squid -N' to start squid as a console application instead of in daemon mode. The errors should then appear on your screen.

Joost