Re: [squid-users] caching behavior during COSS rebuild

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:56:50 +1200

Chris Woodfield wrote:
> So I'm running with COSS under 2.7STABLE6, we've noticed (as I can see
> others have, teh Googles tell me so) that the COSS rebuild a. happens
> every time squid is restarted, and b. takes quite a while if the COSS
> stripes are large. However, I've noticed that while the stripes are
> being rebuilt, squid still listens for and handles requests - it just
> SO_FAILs on every object that would normally get saved to a COSS stripe.
> So much for that hit ratio.
>
> SO - the questions are:
>
> 1. Is there *any* way to prevent the COSS rebuild if squid is terminated
> normally?

The indexes are stored in swap.state. Check that it is being done
properly by your Squid.

> 2. Is there a way to prevent squid from handling requests until the COSS
> stripe is fully rebuilt (this is obviously not good if you don't have
> redundant squids, but that's not a problem for us) ?

I believe its possible. If its not a local failure to find swap.state
for the COSS dir then it will be a code fix. Unfortunately we developers
are no longer actively working on Squid-2 without a paid support
contract. Also Adrian our storage expert who would be the best to ask
has retired from active alterations.

Amos

--
Please be using