Re: [squid-users] caching behavior during COSS rebuild

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil_at_semihuman.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:51:25 -0400

On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:56 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Chris Woodfield wrote:
>> So I'm running with COSS under 2.7STABLE6, we've noticed (as I can
>> see others have, teh Googles tell me so) that the COSS rebuild a.
>> happens every time squid is restarted, and b. takes quite a while
>> if the COSS stripes are large. However, I've noticed that while the
>> stripes are being rebuilt, squid still listens for and handles
>> requests - it just SO_FAILs on every object that would normally get
>> saved to a COSS stripe. So much for that hit ratio.
>> SO - the questions are:
>> 1. Is there *any* way to prevent the COSS rebuild if squid is
>> terminated normally?
>
> The indexes are stored in swap.state. Check that it is being done
> properly by your Squid.

This could be the issue - when I exit squid, I notice that my
$coss_file.dat and $coss_file.dat.last-clean files all have zero size.
Any idea why this might be happening?

The relevant section of our squid.conf reads as follows:

cache_dir aufs /usr/squidcache.0/cache/ 750000 16 256 min-size=1000000
cache_dir coss /usr/squidcache.0/cache/coss1.dat 30000 block-size=4096
max-size=1000000 membufs=100
cache_dir coss /usr/squidcache.0/cache/coss2.dat 30000 block-size=4096
max-size=1000000 membufs=100
cache_dir coss /usr/squidcache.0/cache/coss3.dat 30000 block-size=4096
max-size=1000000 membufs=100

cache_swap_log /usr/squidcache.0/cache/%s

Thanks,

-C