[squid-users] visible_hostname versus unique_hostname

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:31:29 +0200

Hello,

I was searching for the logic of setting visible_hostname and
unique_hostname. I found out that value of unique_hostname is set by calling
getMyHostname() function, which returns value of visible_hostname, if it's
set. However, I would prefer not to do this - to use autodected hostname,
and only change visible_hostname in configuration file.

My point is that we use different /etc/hosts on different systems for
configuring more system services (not just squid) to run on different IP's
with the same configuration files, e.g.:

- hosts file:
195.168.1.136 proxy1.nextra.sk proxy.nextra.sk

- squid config:
http_port proxy.nextra.sk:3128
tcp_outgoing_address proxy.nextra.sk
udp_incoming_address proxy.nextra.sk

visible_hostname proxy.nextra.sk

Squid could resolve it's own unique hostname to proxy1.nextra.sk, if it
would not take value of visible_hostname. That would allow me using of _the
same_ config file on more machines, which would make teh administration much
easier. However, because this logic, it's impossible and I _must_ hold more
configuration files, no matter what I do to make that easier.

I would like to ask, could the *hostname logic be changed, so people could
set visible_hostname and leave unique_hostname to rely on the internal
logic? Should I fill bugreport for this?

Thank you.

We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)