Re: [squid-users] visible_hostname versus unique_hostname

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:15:18 +1200

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was searching for the logic of setting visible_hostname and
> unique_hostname. I found out that value of unique_hostname is set by calling
> getMyHostname() function, which returns value of visible_hostname, if it's
> set. However, I would prefer not to do this - to use autodected hostname,
> and only change visible_hostname in configuration file.
>
> My point is that we use different /etc/hosts on different systems for
> configuring more system services (not just squid) to run on different IP's
> with the same configuration files, e.g.:
>
> - hosts file:
> 195.168.1.136 proxy1.nextra.sk proxy.nextra.sk
>
> - squid config:
> http_port proxy.nextra.sk:3128
> tcp_outgoing_address proxy.nextra.sk
> udp_incoming_address proxy.nextra.sk
>
> visible_hostname proxy.nextra.sk
>
> Squid could resolve it's own unique hostname to proxy1.nextra.sk, if it
> would not take value of visible_hostname. That would allow me using of _the
> same_ config file on more machines, which would make teh administration much
> easier. However, because this logic, it's impossible and I _must_ hold more
> configuration files, no matter what I do to make that easier.
>
> I would like to ask, could the *hostname logic be changed, so people could
> set visible_hostname and leave unique_hostname to rely on the internal
> logic? Should I fill bugreport for this?

Good point. It does appear as if the unique vs visible dependency is
reversed.
Yes, make its a enhancement bug if you like. I'll be looking into it at
some point for 3.2 unless someone gets there first.

FWIW the whole process of this auto-detection needs to be updated. It's
too complex and failing on to many OS these days to keep as-is. If
anyone wants a small job to fix it get in touch with me for the specs.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7