[squid-users] Squid Ignoring ESI

From: James Ellis <ellisje22_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:20:33 +0000

I am trying to use the ESI parser in Squid. I have compiled with "--enable-esi" and set "esi_parser custom" in my squid.conf file.

Through the squid client, I can access a JSP page running on my local machine, but I am unable to parse ESI pages.

Questions:

1) Is there a set of instructions anywhere on how to use ESI and Squid together? If not I'd be happy to piece together what I have (if I ever get it actually working).

2) I read somewhere that you need to set the header "Surrogate-Control", so I've tried the following:

response.setHeader("Surrogate-Control", "no-store, content=\"ESI/1.0\"");

In this case the esi tags are just ignored.

response.setHeader("Surrogate-Control", "no-store, content='ESI/1.0'");

This crashes my Squid with the following message "assertion failed: HttpHeaderTools.cc:355: "*start == '"'"
Aborted (core dumped)"

Are either of these correct "Surrogate-Control" header values correct?

3) Are there any other squid.conf settings required other than "esi_parser custom" required?

Thanks,
Jim