[squid-users] Auto Detect Proxy in Browser, visiting users.

From: gavguinness <gav.wag_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:32:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I'm new to Squid. New in the sense that this time yesterday, I didn't know
what Squid was. I knew what I wanted to achieve though, and I've achieved
most of this today using Squid and a few helpful online guides...

To have users promted to authenticate when they start their browser (Check)
To log their activity in a log file (Check)
Not to have to install any software on the PC (Check)
Specifically not to use any server based DB lookup authentication (check)

The only problem is that I want all users to go through Squid, even visiting
users. A lot of our guys are not going to want to manually enter Proxy
settings each time they visit a site - I want it to be automatic.

Similarly, not every user logs into our server(s), so I can't deploy a
scrips or setting to the visiting computer as they simply connect to the
WiFi, or Cabled network point.

So basically, just connect up to the network, go on line and BAM, they have
to authenticate. Just like in Starbucks! (But without the coffee or wifi
charges!)

I looked at transparent settings, but I gather this doesn't work with
Authentication, so that's a no.

Now i'm focussing on how to get the clients to auto detect the squid box.
But I can't fathom how that's going to work. If the machines don't know
it's there, how can squid make itself known to them?

Ideally (and bear in mind my lack of knowledge at this stage) I would like
to just have my DCHP tell the clients that the squid box is the default
gateway and solve it that way, but again, I'm learning that the proxy
doesn't work that way - it's not a router, right?

Hope that makes sense, any help appreciated. But in the meantime, I'll get
my head back in the manual!

Cheers