Re: [squid-users] using icp_hit_stale on small cache farm

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:59:29 +1200

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 4 cache servers on the same network, configured as siblings, with
> cache digests rutned on. AFAIK using cache digests (nearly) wipes out
> benefits of ICP. Now I am not sure, if:
>
> - I should turn ICP off
> - I should turn icp_hit_stale on (allow_miss is off)
> - should I leave it as it is?

Yes digests wipe out the benefit of ICP seeking. (I'm not sure at this
point if it prevents them being sent though).

But the staleness ability, and the network speed measures gained from
ICP and HTCP are still valuable in some uses.

If you need the icp_hit_stale then you may find it worth turning both
on. The digest will prioritize peers with known HIT over other peers
during the initial selection of peers to test.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7