[squid-users] Help me save bandwidth

From: Wilson Hernandez - MSD, S. A. <wh_at_msdrd.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:24:47 -0400

Hello everybody.

I am somewhat confused on how squid helps to save bandwidth. I know it
saves visited websites to cache and when someone else request the same
site it will serve it from the cache. Please correct me if that is wrong.

Now, I've been checking my traffic before (external nic) and after
(inside network) squid. Eveerytime I request a page (google.com) the
request is sent to the internet as well so, in this case there isn't
much saving done. But, if I have offline_mode on I get the old page
stored locally. It seems that if I have offline_mode enabled is when
bandwidth is been saved.

Please correct me and help me understand on how squid can really help
maintain and save bandwidth on my network.

Thanks in advanced for your help.