[squid-users] GURU opinion required.

From: goody goody <thinkodd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 06:41:52 -0700 (PDT)

after going thru different articles and analyzing the behavior of squid 2.5 stable10 transparent proxy over freebsd machine, it is not possible that https requests are entertained in other words it simply means proxying will not be done for https traffic.

now let's dvlvle in details.

in case of transparent squid proxy whenever https traffic is passed through the proxy, proxy does not adds it's ip addres rather it forwards the packets with original client ip address located on internal network. the packets then finally are natted at the firewall with the public ip address, and operation successfully completes.

but in my case my network colleagues who are managing firewall device have blocked any traffic originating from internal network and have only allowed proxy address hence any https traffic is blocked becoz they have the source address as internal address not of the proxy.

as it should be, any traffic that leaves the proxy with the modified source address as of proxy address , successfully completes the request.

hence http traffic and https traffic with manual/force proxy works but transparent proxy with https traffic doesn't work.

if i am wrong or there is any work around would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.